Many schools and educators are now using the growth mindset theory to improve the performance of pupils and help them achieve their full potential.
The concept of a growth mindset was developed by Carol Dweck, a Stanford University psychologist. In a 2012 interview for OneDublin.org, Dweck's definition of fixed and growth mindsets, states:
"In a fixed mindset, students believe their basic abilities, their intelligence, their talents, are just fixed traits. They have a certain amount, and that's that, and then their goal becomes to look smart all the time and never look dumb. In a growth mindset, students understand that their talents and abilities can be developed through effort, good teaching and persistence. They don't necessarily think everyone's the same, or anyone can be Einstein, but they believe everyone can get smarter if they work at it."
Focusing on pupil improvement
When students and educators have a growth mindset they focus on improvement instead of worrying about how smart they are. They work hard to learn more and get smarter. Growth mindset in school not only helps pupils achieve good results but also improves the general wellbeing of students.
Pupil workshop and teacher INSET day training
The Laughololgy Growth Mindset in Schools training is a pupil workshop and a teacher INSET day workshop which uses growth mindset techniques and theories. The pupil workshop will help them to improve academic attainment and fulfil their potential, whilst the teachers Growth Mindset INSET day will help teachers understand the Neurosciene behind Growth Mindset and how to apply it in the classroom.
We saw a huge improvement in our children's perseverance, resilience and confidence when learning and tackling new things, including SATs paper! All the children joined in enthusiastically, loved all the games and stretching their brains.
Rachel Nye, Headteacher, Tolworth Junior School
TEACHER GROWTH MINDSET INSET DAY TRAINING
- How to teach using growth mind-set language, behaviours and techniques
- Learning the language of growth mind-set feedback
- How to help children and parents with a fixed mind-set turn it around
- Learn positive strategies for approaching SAT’s and exams
- An understanding of the neuroscience of learning
- How to help children learn and take control of their own learning process
- Techniques to help children set their own goals and develop a language amongst themselves to promote learning and resilience
PUPIL GROWTH MINDSET WORKSHOP
- Understanding internal and external language for growth mind-set
- Helping children understand how they learn and their learning process
- Techniques for kids on how to receive feedback in a growth-mind set way and how to peer support with growth mind-set
- Neuroscience for kids and understanding potential
- Breaking limiting beliefs and developing new beliefs for achievement
- Developing grit and determination Celebrating and recognising my successes to date
- Setting goals and SMART working
Confidence and resilience helps young people believe in themselves
Helping children and young people understand how we learn and how the brain works, significantly increase learning and perseverance in learning. Couple this with confidence, resilience and skills to believe in themselves, even in challenging times, and this is your recipe for success.
PUPIL WORKSHOP END OF YEAR BUDGET SALE
We are offering a 30% discount on any pupil workshop, booked before 31st March 2017 and used anytime during 2017.
Book your School's pupil workshop today.
Call us on 0844 800 1701, or use the chat window to speak to a Laughologist.